Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline19/8/2021 – 10/9/2021
Introduction and ContextIntroduction and Context
Right to Protection (R2P) is a Ukrainian not-for profit organization. R2P is dedicated to protecting refugees who find themselves in Ukraine due to dire circumstances. R2P ensures the protection and human rights of other vulnerable migrants – the conflict affected, the internally displaced (IDPs), the stateless, the undocumented, and those at risk of statelessness. R2P’s key programmatic strengths are legal assistance, monitoring, advocacy as well as government and civil society capacity building. R2P has approximately 150 staff members working across Ukraine.
R2P takes part in a project on “Strengthening disaster risk mitigation in conflict affected areas of Ukraine” implemented by a Consortium led by ACTED with the participation of IMPACT Initiatives.
The project will aim to reduce the vulnerability of conflict-affected populations in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts to the risks posed by flooded mines across both sides of the LOC. ACTED, IMPACT, and R2P will seek to understand the impact of the mines on the surrounding area, specifically hazards such as land subsidence, water pollution, and agricultural contamination. Through field research, engagement of local authorities, and a cross-LoC dialogue series between environmental experts, the project aims to generate evidence on these risks as well as actionable recommendations. As a result of partner activities, local actors (notably authorities, CSOs, citizens) will have a greater understanding of environmental threats from flooded mines across the LOC that may impact their communities, and have practical recommendations to best report and address them.
Develop a concept and specification for soil analysis, coordinate soil sampling process in accordance with the project’s description and in cooperation with project partners, analyze the results of soil sampling, present the results at the regional and national roundtable and enter them into the final project report.
- To work out the concept and specification of agricultural soil testing and analysis aiming to underline the environmental risks in Eastern Ukraine;
- To collect the results of soil sample testing of presumed contaminated farmlands made by laboratories, identify possible impacts of the ecological damages in Eastern Ukraine on the livelihoods of the local population and prepare a report in close cooperation with Advocacy analyst, Advocacy manager;
- To interact with the expert dialogue group regarding the research of agricultural lands;
- To present the results of the research at the regional and national roundtable.
Required qualificationsRequired qualifications
● Master degree or equivalent (PhD (“kandidat nauk”) would be an asset, in environmental studies;
● Minimum 7 years of work experience in the field of environmental studies/management;
● Excellent analytical, writing, and presentation skills, as well as attention to detail;
● Participation in related conferences, fora is a strong asset;
● Experience in drafting reports;
● Additional education and certificates are strongly recommended to be mentioned.
No trips to NGCA are envisaged to complete this assignment.
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- R2P will offer the successful applicant a contract in line with Ukrainian legislation, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
APPLICATION PROCESSAPPLICATION PROCESS
Send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] with the title ‘Soil Expert’. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE DATEAPPLICATIONS CLOSE DATE10 September 2021. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.