Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline1/07/2020 – 15/07/2020
Work placeWork placeKyiv
General informationGeneral information
The Right to Protection (R2P), an all-Ukrainian charitable foundation operating in partnership with the global NGO HIAS, that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection, is seeking a candidate to fill the position of the Legal Aid Programmes Coordinator.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
Advocacy Coordinator reports to the Director and works in close cooperation with Managers of the organization’s projects and other senior management.
Advocacy Coordinator develops and supports in-house advocacy programs in the organizations’ offices contributing to all directions and efforts of the R2P. Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of the organization’s advocacy activities, developing and maintaining relations with advocacy stakeholders, strategic planning, methodological support to the organization, including teams at local offices, monitoring, and evaluation of deliverables, representation of the component to the key stakeholders, conception and drafting of new advocacy projects.
- Maintain a broad overview of the changing political landscape and identify new and emerging advocacy opportunities and threats relevant to the situation of beneficiaries in Ukraine.
- Develop advocacy strategies of the organization at regional, national, and international levels. The strategies to be developed in close collaboration with the key staff members.
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the advocacy strategies in close coordination with Managers of the R2P’s on-going projects and functional Managers.
- Build up and maintain mutually beneficial liaisons with key stakeholders and decision makers at regional, national, and international levels. Keep up an on-line database of these contacts.
- Promote and support the existing and new fora of civil society and governments as an instrument of collective response advocacy.
- Work closely with the Director and the Fundraising and Development Unit and the Board to establish R2P as a leader and partner of local and international stakeholders and promote collaborative new and existing relationships.
- Participate actively in the government, UN, and other decision making platforms.
- Supervise the Advocacy Unit in programmatic and developing efforts.
- Spearhead staff capacity building efforts by identifying the needs of the advocacy team.
- Make sure the advocacy team is aware of and enforces human rights standards and R2P’s code of conduct, including confidentiality and data protection, and apply them into their everyday work.
- Ensure that the advocacy team has the necessary tools, resources, and information to deliver and evaluate services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards and protocols.
- Work closely with Director and the Fundraising and Development Unit to develop program objectives and budgets, with a focus on advocacy projects.
- Coordinate preparation of and manage timely and high?quality program narratives reports concerning advocacy.
- Regularly visit the organization’s field offices and project sites to monitor implementation quality.
- Model R2P values through collaboration, strategic decision?making, evidence?based programming, and efficient management of resources.
- Ensure accountability through effective monitoring and impact assessment; comply with R2P and donor policies, procedures and requirements and ensure compliance on the part of the staff, volunteers and project partners
- Introduce a human rights approach in activities implemented by the organization.
- Ensure effective communication, coordination, and information-sharing with other key staff including Director, peers, and subordinates.
- Represent the organization at all relevant coordination fora with partner organizations as well as duty bearers.
Required qualifications and skillsRequired qualifications and skills
- Higher education in law, additional public administration or management education is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of national and international human rights legal aid instruments including Ukrainian law, the European Court on Human Rights and UN instruments;
- Good understanding and deep awareness of the political landscape, government stakeholders, civil society, intergovernmental organizations, UN in Ukraine, and worldwide.
- Familiarity with displacement, asylum, migration, statelessness human rights standards;
- Ability to formulate and draft project proposals;
- Strong public and media presentations skills;
- Strong training and lecturing abilities are an advantage and strongly preferred;
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Collaborative results-oriented management style;
- Ability to motivate and supervise a high-performing team;
- Well-developed organization capacities, communication skills, high level of responsibility, computer literacy, experience in planning and analysis of fulfilled work;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Readiness to travel within a designated area;
- Excellent Ukrainian, Russian, and English language proficiency.
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract till December 31, 2020, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the title ‘Advocacy Coordinator‘. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for interview. No phone calls, please.
Applications close date
15 July 2020. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.